Thursday, April 24, 2014

P-DAY and Everything You Need to Know About It




When you enter St. Mike’s as a freshman, talk about P-Day comes along and it is such a new and exciting thing to find out for the first time. P-Day, or Preparation Day, is a day that St. Mike’s puts all things fun into one day for everyone to enjoy. Whether you are going to experience P-Day for the first time this year or are going into it with prior knowledge, these tips are sure to help to have a great day.

On to the tips:
  • Make shirts with your friends. 
  • The food tent can be entered as many times as you want, so take advantage of that. There is so much good food to be eaten. 
  • If you want to make some money that day, the Student Association offers some paid volunteer positions, so make sure to sign up if you want to make some money.
  • Put on sunblock to prevent sunburn. The whole day is spent outside, as long as the weather is decent.
  • Attend every part of the day. 
  • With the new changes being made, embrace them; it's better to have a shortened P-Day than no P-Day at all.
  • P-Day stands for Preparation Day, so make sure you prepare for a day of fun.
  • With all of the fun activities going on, make sure that if you get split from your friends you have a way to meet up with them, via phones or meeting location.
  • Try to stay up for Mid-Knight breakfast; you won't have too many opportunities to eat in Alliot at midnight.
  • After the wonderful day of fun, make sure to get a good "knight’s" sleep.

I matched with my friends and got "Bows Before Bros" lacrosse pennies. P-Day 2013


Picking up trash while making money and photo bombing pictures. P-Day 2012

Make sure to put on sunblock to avoid the post P-Day sunburn. Pre P-Day 2014


My freshman year I decided I wanted to make $100 on P-Day as a way to enjoy the day and still make some money. As a freshman it was a good decision because I did not know what to expect. I didn’t have to do too much work for the amount I was paid, but it did not allow me to be able to be as free to do all of the activities that I would have wanted to do. My sophomore year I decided not to work at P-Day and I enjoyed it so much more. I was able to go around to the food tent and eat many kinds of different foods from the area. It also allowed time to be with my friends for the day.

During the day there are many structured events for students to enjoy. At the start of the day there is a trike race where teams of 4 compete and race around a course. Then the day moves into my favorite part: a food tent and bouncy houses. You would not think that those two combined would work, but they do. Each year over 10 vendors from the Burlington area come and set up their food for us to enjoy. With all of the different options, the combinations are endless. The bouncy houses are also a great touch to the day because I feel like a kid again. After dinnertime, we have some form of entertainment for the night, usually a comedian or act. Last year we had a sword swallower/mind reader. Finally, the day ends with a Mid-“Knight” breakfast. The day is enjoyable for all who attend. I enjoy all of the activities. Since it is the end of the year, I know I’m going to be leaving my friends soon; P-Day makes for a great day to relax with your friends before leaving for summer. 

It was such a great day last year and I had to take a selfie. P-Day 2013


One Last Thing:
This Friday, the day before P-Day, is our last game against Middlebury. We are playing on our home turf at 4 p.m. To celebrate the “Spring Weekend,” St. Mike’s will be having a BBQ on the 300’s field, along the sidelines of where we’re playing. Come on over and support your favorite team and have a burger while you watch us play. It should hopefully be a beautiful day and a great way to end the semester off well.

Keep SMCing,
DJ Q

P. S. I want to give a shout out to my Editor In Chief, Sharon, for editing all of my blogs. If it wasn’t for her reading through all of my mistakes, I wouldn’t be able to have such great grammar and spelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment