Thursday, April 10, 2014

Calling All Athletes… And Future Athletes



With all of the times that I have talked about how I play rugby, I thought it would be appropriate to have a blog all about tips for sports. These tips can be used for any sport that you play. I have found over the time that I have been playing sports that the more you prepare at practice or a game, the better you will succeed at your sport and the less you need to worry about what you forgot to bring to the game. In rugby news, the newbies were able to play in their first game at UVM and had a great game, from what I’ve heard.

On to the Tips:

  • Get an easy to spot bag to find it on the sidelines easily.
  • Bring a change of clothes for away games. It is never fun to take the long bus rides back in soggy clothes.
  • Make a list of items you always need to bring, that way you can’t forget anything.
  • Arrive at every event, practice, and game early. If you’re not early, you’re late.
  • Hydrate after every practice and game. Your body is working hard and it deserves it.
  • If you don’t want to bring your heavy duffel bag to practice, bring a reusable shopping bag to hold all of the items you need.
  • Attend every practice. You are on a team and everyone needs to work together to achieve the success of a win.
  • Always bring an emergency ponytail holder. These are great for the days you forget to put one on your wrist or when the one in your hair breaks.
  • Don’t be afraid of eating more than normal. Your body is burning more calories than it would if you weren’t playing a sport.
  • Have a blast playing that sport. It can act as an escape from all of the structure in your life, so embrace the fun you have while playing and enjoy the time you have. 

It might appear as too much, but you need to prepare for more instead of less. And you don't want to forget that deodorant.

Would you rather take the unique bag on the left or the right?

Keep your emergency ponytail in a convenient place not on your wrist, such as a wrist-let.

I have been able to play so many different sports on organized teams in my time while being in school. Each of them has their challenges and what makes them wonderful to play. In grade school I played softball, volleyball, and basketball. Since the sports in grade school were so easy to join, I wanted to try many of them from being able to play the games in gym class. Then when it came to high school, I tried out for tennis in the fall of my freshman year, but didn’t make the team which was a bummer. So the next year I went for the golf team. Not as an intense of a sport, but still a fun team sport. I played on the team for 2 years until I was cut my senior year. So then I ran cross country for my senior year. That was a fun journey. For 3 of my spring seasons in high school I threw discus and shot-put for my track team.


We love to jump in track and field.

There was the blast from the past for sports now into the college years. I joined rugby when I was a freshman in my spring semester. I needed to find some sport to play with all of my free time in college and having difficulty with finding time to go to the gym. I joined the team and was hesitant at first because it was going to be something I never tried before and had the risk of getting hurt. Once I started playing outside and getting to tackle, I knew that I had made a good decision. It has been a really great team to be a part of. I have been able to see myself grow into a better player and teammate from playing, not to mention the physical shape I have developed because of it. I am so grateful that I joined a wonderful team.

The 2012 Championship Rugby Team

One Last Thing (Updated 4-14):
This weekend we played on our home turf. We are played Vermont Law and the Burlington Women’s Rugby team. The VT Law game went excellent with so many new players being able to experience scoring their first tries (like a touchdown). And we were able to play against some powerful women in the "Burly" Girls' game. After playing them the rest of the teams will seem small compared to them. Thank you to all who came out and supported us this weekend.


The newbies playing in their first game against UVM on April 5.

Playing against the Burlington Women's Rugby Team on April 12.


Keep SMCing,
DJ Q

No comments:

Post a Comment